Time: 1hr 30mins
Visit them at 70 Foster Street, Sale.
The recently refurbished Port of Sale houses the Gippsland Art Gallery, Sale Library, Central Gippsland Visitor Centre and The Dock Espresso Bar.
Visit them at 47-57 Foster St, Sale.
St Mary’s Cathedral, Sale is the cathedral church of the diocese, under the patronage of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. Purpose-built as a cathedral, St Mary’s boasts a Romanesque onyx high altar, notable stained glass windows and a large statue of Mary Help of Christians as its features. Four of Sale’s bishops are buried in the cathedral: Bishop Corbett lies in the main section of the church beneath the front rows of pews on the right hand side and Bishops Ryan, Lyons and Fox are interred in the Lady Chapel.
Visit them at 51-53 Desailly St, Sale
The Sisters of Our Lady of Sion established a school for girls in 1890 and the Marist Brothers arrived in 1922 to begin St Patrick’s College for boys.
Catholic College Sale was formed in 1977 with the amalgamation of St. Patrick’s College and Our Lady of Sion College. At that time, a third campus, the John XXIII Campus, was established to cater for senior students in Years 11 and 12 in a co-educational environment. Until 1993 the Sion and St. Patrick’s campuses accommodated our Year 7 to 10 girls and boys respectively (1992 being the last year of separate campuses).
From 2021 Catholic College Sale has consolidated onto one campus at the St. Patrick’s site.
Visit them at 104 Raymond Street, Sale
This imposing headquarters was built by the Bank of Australasian 1875, the scale reflecting the banks confidence in Sale as a regional centre.
Visit them at 118-124 Raymond St, Sale
The AMP Building, which is part of a distinguished collection of buildings in Raymond Street, stands at 118-124 Raymond Street and, when completed in 1930, was described as 'the most notable addition to the architecture of the town'.
Visit them at 199 Raymond St, Sale
Cobb and Co had a coach service between Melbourne and Sale. Its former stables stand at 199 Raymond Street. The building was constructed with a red gum timber frame built in 1878.
Visit them at Sale Pedestrian Mall (Cunninghame St, Sale)
Located at the end of the Pedestrian Mall the clocktower dates from 1988 but it replaced an early clocktower built on the Post Office in 1884.
The mechanism and balustrades from that original clocktower were incorporated in the new building.
Visit them at 103 Cunninghame St, Sale
Now a wonderful bakery, the former Sale Weslyan Methodist Church dates back to 1886.
Visit them at 149 Cunninghame St, Sale
Located at 149 Cunninghame Street St Paul's Cathedral is the cathedral church of the Anglican Diocese of Gippsland. The cathedral was built in 1884 and consecrated in 1885.
It was constructed of red brick and slate roofing. The cathedral's interior is decorated in a Gothic style and the walls are of white rendered plaster with Oregon roof buttressing. The cathedral's stained glass windows are particularly impressive. Above the sanctuary is the "great western window" depicting the Sermon on the Mount and several other windows include St Paul's vision of the Macedonian.
Within the nave are a Lady chapel, a bishop's chapel and an honour roll. The cathedral's pipe organ was built in 1882 by George Fincham and was restored in 1981.
Visit them at Marley Street, Sale
Located over the road from St Paul's Anglican Cathedral, Victoria Park has an impressive brick water tower which dates from 1887 and a bandstand which dates from 1913. Much of the work on the park was done by returned servicemen after World War I.
Visit them at Cnr Of Dundas St & Macalister St, Sale
The first school, the forerunner, to the Sale Primary School was established in Sale in 1853, as a result of a public meeting. This school was situated in Raymond Street where a 'bark and slab structure' was erected. From this humble beginning the school went through several redevelopments on the Raymond St site, and the school developed to become known as a National School, then later a Common School.
Free secular education was introduced into Victoria in 1872, with the passing of the Education Act, which also created the Education Department of Victoria. All Common Schools then became government funded State Schools. Each state school was allocated a school number based upon their alphabetical listing, thus creating the school's number, Sale State School No 545, in 1873.
Despite continuing new brick classrooms erected in 1873, the school was significantly overcrowded with over 600 children attending. In 1881, following a public meeting and several approaches to the Victorian Government by members of the school board The Minister for Education, immediately issued an Order for the erection of a new building to accommodate 750 children on a new school site. The Sale State School No 545 was relocated to its present site in March 1883.
Visit them at 90 MacAlister St, Sale
Originally built in 1865 ‘The Cri,’ as this grand old lady is affectionately known, has been recognised by the Register of the National Estate as one of the largest intact nineteenth century hotels in Victoria.
Bolstered by the gold rushes in Gippsland’s mountains and ideally located on the main road to Melbourne, by the mid-nineteenth century Sale was recognised as the regional centre for Gippsland. It was in these heady times that the Criterion Hotel was developed, and soon became the place to be for a cool drink on the shady veranda, for travellers to rest their weary heads.
However, come 2006, The Criterion Hotel had closed and rapidly fallen into disrepair, with many concerned that this beautiful historic building would be demolished. Luckily, a local developer undertook a complete rebuild of the hotel, including the painstaking restoration of the heritage listed external façade and veranda.