Established in 1883 with the construction of the railway line and the town was first known as La Trobe. It was later renamed Glengarry in 1884.
The shops in the main street include a supermarket, hairdresser, pharmacy, post office and a great country pub with regular live entertainment. The town has preserved its country feel with its tree-lined streets and the historic town hall, churches and hotel. The town’s facilities include Apex Park, playground, primary school, sporting grounds and skate park.
The Gippsland Plains Rail Trail follows the route carved by the old railway line from Traralgon to Stratford and passes through Glengarry offering walkers and cyclists a well-earned break. The rail trail has views over the surrounding farmland and the Great Dividing Range to the north. The Glengarry station is the only original station building located right on the trail and is now a cafe.
The nearby Narkoojee cellar door and restaurant has a five-star rating in James Halliday’s Wine companion and is a must for wine-lovers.